Jerry's Fitness Diary

Friday, December 16, 2005

Day 96 - Great Workout

Well Patty & I finally did another workout together. The past couple of weeks have been a bit chaotic with us fighting the sickness bug but we were there together ready for it.

Keith had us doing our new shake up routine. We are still focusing on core routines with the new thing being the ball curls. This is one that I feel that I can do! We are on our backs and we are using an exercize ball underneath our calf. We then lift our butts off the ground and balance on the ball and curl the ball with our legs. This sounds somewhat easy but it really works the abs.

I am still having a struggle with the ball squats with the scapula lifts. He has me on 8 lbs. for each arm with this one. We have the ball against the wall and do a squat. We then do a scapula raise and then lift from the squat. 18 times is our standard routine but after about 6, I am struggling. I have been doing 3 sets of 6 to make up my 18. It's not yet perfect but I will soon be able to do 2 sets of 9 and then a 12 and 6, 15 and 3 and eventually a complete set of 18.

Next workout is Monday.

1 Comments:

  • Hi Jerry,

    Since you and Patty got a personal trainer, I decided to also get a trainer for myself. Though I've worked with a number of trainers, I wanted to wait until I was "healthy" and injury free to get back with one.

    Well, it's not going to happen at a reasonable timeframe, so I just decided I needed help. I've worked my butt off for so many years, my butt still hasn't come off.

    I met last week with Josh, who will be one of my trainers at Lifetime Fitness. He wanted me to take a VO2 MAP (metabolic assessment program) and RMR (resting metabolic rate) test. The RMR was similar to what I determine regarding my caloric intake, so that wasn't anything new.

    The VO2 MAP results showed that I was and had been working out way, way too hard all these years. Instead of burning fats, I'd always been burning sugars. Additionally, I was doing some reading on hormones and being insulin resistent. I was diagnosed this this year, but I am not diabetic. We also checked my adrenals, because we thought maybe they were burned out. They are not.

    What I learned about insulin resistance this week was that over exercising, sleep deprivation, stress are some of the factors to becoming insulin resistant. Great. I cried over my results because I'd always thought exercise was great for the body and it isn't always, at least not in excess.

    My VO2 results also showed I had a much lower anaerobic threshold (AT) than I expected. My body is worn out. So, I also have a trainer (Tyna) who will be helping me to raise my AT level, so that at higher heart rates I can burn more fat. I've had to slow down my workouts a great deal and give my body more rest.

    Tyna will have workouts structured for me that last 1 hr, where every minute is accounted for. I'm also to wear a heart rate monitor, as this is super important in helping me gauge how hard I should be working.

    I did my first O2 workout and let me say, it was super challenging to NOT go full bore. We'll see what these less intense workouts will get me. I tend to be very passionate about my workouts, so it's hard to taper them down.

    Anyway, it's been great reading your journal. I think I'll start a new blog with this new approach.

    By Blogger Doris, at 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home