Jerry's Fitness Diary

Monday, January 23, 2006

Day 134 - Upper Body Baby!

We got to the Gym around 5:55 p.m. and got a couple of the LifeFitness treadmills to do our cardio on. I did 25 minutes at a 5.5 elevation at 2.7 mph. I really like the LifeFitness machines as they tell you how many calories you are burning as well as your heart rate. The ProCor machines they have an abundance of don't seem to be as high of a quality as the LifeFitness machines so I prefer the LifeFitness system a bit more.

Mel told me that I need to get my target heart rate around 140 for the days when I am not with her training so I will have to increase the MPH to 3.0 or 3.2 to get the heart rate up.

Tonight, it was an upper body workout routine. I seem to like the upper body more than the lower body and Patty is quite adept at the lower body over the upper body - go figure?! Anyways, we started out with some lat pulls with 2 variations (3 sets) to work on. We moved on to some chest presses and alternating chest presses (2 sets). We then did some butterflys (laying and then standing - 2 sets at 5 lbs. on each arm). Next it was some standing rows and tricep extensions (15 lbs. - 2 sets) and completed the workout with Deltoid Flys (front and back with 2 sets each).

Patty & I really are enjoying getting to know Mel. She is a really fun person to work out with. I can be the silly goofy guy that I am and Patty can be somewhat serious and she moves between the dichotomy (d
ivision into two usually contradictory parts or opinions) of Patty's and my personalities with ease.

Our next workout is Wednesday evening at 7:00 pm and our reprogram is next Monday at 6:30 to see if we made any progress this month. The numbers are good but the real progress is in the heart and in the physical changes happening to us. I am starting to see some great results. I will take a digital photo next week in my "sexy" black workout and post here so you can see some progress from the "Ogre" photo of 2002.

Peace!

Jerry

1 Comments:

  • A lot of women have very strong lower bodies and can compete against men here. Women, however, typically have weaker upper bodies than men. This is exactly the case with me. I have an incredibly strong and powerful lower body, but my upper body needs a lot of improvement in strength & power.

    By Blogger Doris, at 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home